Do you want to request personal information or other kinds of records held at the PGT? 

Do you have a privacy complaint about how personal information has been collected, used, disclosed or disposed of by the PGT?
Our Information Access department provides access to records and responds to privacy complaints in accordance with B.C.’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)

Requesting Records

Under FIPPA, you may make a request for access to records in the custody or under the control of the PGT. This includes any format in which information is recorded or stored.

We will provide you with access to records that you are entitled to under FIPPA, unless an exception applies. Records may then be partially redacted or entirely withheld in accordance with the exceptions found in Part 2 Division 2 of FIPPA.


Under FIPPA, there is normally no charge for accessing your own information, or information that you are legally authorized to request on behalf of someone else. For other records, you may need to pay a fee if locating and retrieving the records takes longer than three hours. Schedule 1 of the FIPPA Regulations sets out the allowable fees for producing records.

How to Request Records

Fill out an Access to Records Request, including a detailed description of the specific records you are looking for and the time frame during which these records were made.
If you are requesting access to your own personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity. If you are requesting someone else’s personal information, you must include written proof of your authority to act on their behalf (e.g. a court order appointing you as a committee, a valid Power of Attorney, an administration grant for a deceased person’s estate, a legally valid signed consent form).
A parent may request records for a minor in their care, but a person with legal guardianship of a minor should include a copy of their court order.
Mail, fax or email your completed Access to Records Request and proof of authority (if any) to the address or number below.
You will receive a letter acknowledging your request. We may also call or email you to clarify your request and to confirm what you are asking for.
In approximately 30 to 60 business days you will receive copies of any records to which you are entitled under FIPPA.

How to Make a Privacy Complaint

1. Mail, fax or email the details of your complaint to the address or number below.
2. Include your name, address and phone number. If you wish to be contacted by email, provide your email address.
3. You will receive a letter acknowledging your complaint. We may also call or email you to clarify your complaint and confirm what you are asking us to do in response.
4. In approximately 30 to 60 business days you will receive our response to your privacy complaint.

Contact Information

PGT – Information Access
700-808 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3L3 Fax: 604-775-0207