When parents are no longer able to look after their minor children, or when a child loses a parent and there is no surviving parent with legal custody and a guardian has not been appointed by will or the court, the province takes on the duties of a guardian.

As property guardian, the Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) is coguardian with the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) and Delegated Aboriginal Child and Family Service Agencies for children in continuing care of the province. The PGT is also property guardian for children who have no legal guardian or are undergoing adoption.

As property guardian, the PGT protects the child’s legal and financial interests.  Where appropriate, the PGT advances legal claims for damages arising from injury or loss suffered by children and youth. The PGT also pursues financial benefits to which these child and youth clients are entitled, such as Canada Pension Plan Children's benefits and Registered Disability Savings Plans.

For more information on how the PGT carries out its duties as property guardian for children and youth in continuing care as well as for those who have no legal guardian or are undergoing adoption, read our guide entitled Child and Youth Services.

The PGT issues an annual report describing its property guardian services during the previous fiscal year. Copies of the report are available at no charge on this website and can be found by clicking here.

Contact Us

Child and Youth Services
700-808 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3L3
Trust Service Ph: 604.775.3480
Legal Intake Ph: 604.660.3040
Fax: 604.775.2429
Email: cys@trustee.bc.ca