Our Vision, Mandate, and Values
Rights, choices and security for British Columbians.
The mandate of the Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) is to:
- Protect the legal and financial interests of children under the age of 19 years;
- Protect the legal, financial, personal and health care interests of adults who require assistance in decision making; and
- Administer the estates of deceased and missing persons.
Seven major values underpin PGT work and are reflected in all aspects of PGT performance:
- Provide Client Focused Service: We put clients first when we make decisions.
- Show Accountability and Integrity: We act in accordance with the highest ethical, legal and personal standards.
- Be Collaborative: We value collaboration with clients, colleagues and partners and believe in the importance of relationships in achieving positive outcomes for clients.
- Pursue Innovation: We seek to learn, pursue innovative practices and strive for continuous improvement.
- Demonstrate Openness: We describe our work, processes, timelines and decisions to the best of our ability. We seek input and welcome feedback.
- Be a People-Focused Workplace: We honour the experience and expertise of employees. We support employee growth and development, and believe a positive workplace contributes to improved relationships and services.
- Respect People: We recognize our inherent diversity and strive to ensure respect is reflected in our relationships and services.